Thursday, October 16, 2008

Final Year Intro - Research Project Ideas

We had an induction into the final year of Multimedia to prepare us after coming back from the Gap Year. Jools explained what the final year will be about, the three modules and what will be expected from us.

As I had moved to Nottingham earlier I made a start on deciding on a research project. We were advised to research something in a field that we would like to enter after graduating from university. Documentary work and Producing are two careers that I am really interested in. On the other hand I was also interested in the development of Inidan Cinema in terms of technology, globalisation and crossover into the west.

I started off reading through various journals and articles through the online catalogue. I found that the areas were really broad and I found it extremely difficult to decide on a research topic. Here are the titles of some of the journals and articles I read:

‘Film Co-operation Agreement Between India & UK Will Increase World Audiences for Indian Cinema – Hindustani Times – 6 December 2005

Bollywood in Britain: Sight & Sound vol.ns8no.8 (August 1998) p.20-2

New Cultural Technologies & the Fading Gliter of Indian Cinema – Quarterly Review of Film & Video V.11 (October 1989) p. 69-78

An Investigation into the Use of Multimedia for Electronic Learning – Dissertations – Thesis MPHIL/2005/OLE


I then did a few brainstorms and mind-maps to see what areas I could research into. Below is a summarisation of the process:



After all the research and reading I decided on my Research Project Topic

'The Representation of Women In Multimedia'

I feel that the "Multimedia" aspect is very broad yet a very fresh and new area that has more scope rather than simply film making. However I think 'film making' will be the particular method I will use for the second part of the project - Research in Practise (Artefacts).

No comments: