Thursday, October 16, 2008

Belgrave Playhouse - Freelance Client Project


The Belgrave Playhouse is a charity that provides care for children and young people in Leicester. In conjunction with the foundation I was set a broad brief to follow and produce an installation to be placed in their play setting.

My brief was ‘Indian Women’ and stretched through the 3 months I spent in India as a whole (including the volunteer project and travelling North India). Although I was set a brief I had the freedom to develop this into any product, which I decided would be photography based.

I had collected almost 250 photographs that were based around the brief of ‘Indian Women’. The next step was to liaise with my client (the Belgrave Playhouse) to produce the finalised project. I started with filtering the photographs to what I thought were effective images that met the brief exactly. I then took a collection of 30 photographs to a Committee Meeting where I did a presentation on what I did in India, what I had collected and what I intended to do with the material. The Committee in return gave me their feedback which I used to refine the photograph collection further to 12 images.

I placed the images in different orders and kept in contact with the director of the charity on a constant basis as I was also working there at the time. She would give me critical feedback in the various meetings we had, which developed the project further. These client meetings were essential as the communication ensured the client’s needs were met and also gave me ideas on how to improve my work. I learned that working with client is not simple and you can be restricted to their creative ideas instead of implementing only your perspective and opinion.

Below are some of the options that came out of meetings with the Client:

Option 1



Option 2



Option 3

As you can see the options are very similar, however the smallest details would make a difference on the impact. For example how much space is left between the images and the order/placement of the image.

After many meetings and discussions as well as various changes to the design we decided on a final product which was then printed on a large canvas. The delivering of the product involved me researching different print companies and to get the best possible price for the print. Below is the final installation which is now placed in the ‘Homework Room’ at the Belgrave Playhouse.

Indian Women - Printed on Canvas 48" x 40"

Bindni Karia 2008 ©

No comments: