Thursday, October 16, 2008

Documentary - Finding a Story

To make a documentary was a personal aim which I incorporated into the project during my free time. I had taken a Sony MiniDV Camera, a tripod and some blank tapes. Before I left I had a meeting with Deborah and Jools who suggested I should have a story in mind before I begin to shoot, otherwise I will end up with too much footage. This advise proved to be extremely helpful and practical.

I literally spent the first few weeks of the 8 weeks I was there talking to people – researching for my story. By the second week things were really not looking good, I had not shot anything and I thought my aim would not be achievable. However I hadn’t realised that all the talking was collating to form a subject that linked to me, the village and the school. All of a sudden I had a great concept, which started from a conversation with one of the trustees of the school. I discovered that support for village children in terms of further education after primary school was very small or didn’t exist, especially for young girls. This idea developed into an interesting subject matter about the importance of education (English and IT), the restrictions of social and cultural traditions in India that limit further education and the economic growth of the country that influences the educational system.



By the fourth week I had many notes and ideas on what could develop into a documentary. I then started planning shots and interviews. I had expected to start shooting in the 2nd week, however majority of my shots were taken in the last three weeks of my stay in the village.




I came back with a lot of footage, however due to access and working circumstances I was unable to develop the footage and edit it into a documentary straight away.

No comments: