Thursday, February 19, 2009

Live Client: Shoot 5 - The Play Parade

Today was one of the most challenging shoots that I have experienced. To start off with we were a crew of 10 people and we had three cameras to cover the event. Fortunately the weather was on our side and it was not raining. I found that having detailed shot lists for each camera was very useful and ensured that the shots I required were captured. The day ran smoothly and on schedule. The crew members worked very hard and took initiative for the project as well as worked well as a team.


We all found ourselves racing up the roads of Radford and trying to keep up with the marching crowd of over 100 adults and children. The parade only lasted for approximately 20 minutes but that time was very tense busy and stressful. It was very difficult to direct 3 cameras at the same time and I had to trust the camera operators to achieve the objectives I had set out in the shot list. It was extremely beneficial to have 'spotters' helping the camera operators. They also made logs of the shots and time-codes which will simplify the editing process. Although I now have 3 hours worth of footage for only one event, I think that this will also give me a big choice of shot sizes and angles for the edit.



Delegation is a quality that comes with hard work and practise. Especially after being used to doing everything yourself, it is something I think I am developing quickly with the scale of this project and find that this is achieving better results. Audio Visual production requires a range of skills and requires the input of various people, creatively and practically. Having to co-ordinate 3 cameras was a useful exercide and I feel more confident in operating the equipment. In addition to this I have been working with the same crew members on a regular basis and we now have an understanding of the ways in which we work. The day brief at the begginning of the shoot was very important to me and I think it was essential to gather the crew and communicate my intentions for the day.

Overall I am pleased with the outcome of today and am looking forward for the next shoots as well as the editing stage.

No comments: