Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Film Review: Slumdog Millionnaire

I watched Slumdog Millionnaire last week. I had heard and read many reviews about the film before hand and also seen interviews of Danny Boyle and Dev Patel. I had an idea of the plot and the story, I had also listened to the soundtrack many times.



I felt that the film was shot adventurously and the young actors were amazing. They were actually co directed by Loveleen Tandon. In addition to this I think the sound was one of the most influential aspects in creating the atmosphere, pace and anticipation in the film. A R Rehman has a distinctive style and I have always enjoyed his music. I particularly liked how various genres of music were used to add to the story. Such as the homage to classic Bollywood songs and also the remixes of EMI's songs. The lyrics emphasised and complimented what was happening visually on the screen.

In particular, I could relate to the scene where the young boys are making a living by selling products illegally on the public trains. I experienced this first hand whilst travelling on the trains in India and felt that the song that accompanied this scene was really well placed.

Although the film's story was predictable I think it was a great effort. I thought the sound was the best aspect of the film.

No comments: