Sunday, January 18, 2009

Client: Proposal Organiser

In order to put my documentary into perspective and fully understand the subject I followed an organisational structure outlined by Michael Rabiger in his book Directing the Documentary. This tool included the following sections which forced me to think deeply about what kind of film I am about to make.

  1. Working Hypothesis - what do I believe in? how is this reflected in my film? what are the conflicts? what is the POV? What do I want the audience to feel?
  2. Topic & Exposition - the film's subject and background information
  3. Action sequences - characters that will appear, events and activities that will take place
  4. Main Characters
  5. Conflict
  6. Social Significance
  7. My motivation for making the film
  8. Audience, its knowledge and prejudices
  9. To-camera interviews
  10. Style
  11. Tone
  12. Structure
  13. Resolution
This process not only made me question why I am making this film but also how it will come together as a story and what significance each aspect will have. This has also prepared me to write my proposal.

No comments: