Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Client Proposal - The Final Draft

The final proposal for my client proposal was a 30 page bound document to include the following sections:
  • Background & Introduction
  • Synopsis
  • Treatment
  • Characters
  • Locations
  • Style & Format
  • Structure
  • Production Plan
  • Budget
  • Audience & Distribution
  • Production Personnel
  • Appendices
  • A: Playworks Newsletter
  • B: Play Parade flyer
  • C: Work in progress DVD
  • D: Location Photos
  • E: Visualisations
  • F: Script
  • G: Scene Summary
  • H: Detailed Shooting Schedule
  • I: Detailed Budget
  • J: Production Personnel Details
  • K: Management & Legalities
  • Bibliography
Writing the actual proposal was a lot easier than I had expected. Although I think this was only because I had done a lot of background research and 'preparation' for the proposal (for example the proposal organiser in Michael Rabiger's book).

I found it very difficult to produce the budget as I lack skills on Excel, which is not good considering I want to go into Producing. I found it interesting however to find out professional rates for crew staff and prices for hiring equipment. In total the foretasted budget came to a grand total of £85,000. This is the cost for the entire production including salary, insurance, staff, pre-production, production, post-production and distribution. One of the largest cost I found was my salary (if the documentary was being produced commercially for broadcast).

Producing a detailed schedule was not only time-consuming but also difficult as certain aspects had to be decided. For example I used the Production Management Software Celtx to write a script, for which I needed to know precise details. The script then acted as a backbone to create a detailed schedule, scene summary, catalogue etc. Once all the main details were inserted the software efficiently produced reports, this indirectly saves time for the rest of the pre-production phase.

Ultimately the appendix items made up most of the proposal and supported the main written section. I enjoyed producing the proposal and it gave me an insight into aspects I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Although the proposal had been handed in there is still a great deal of pre-production to do:
  • Detailed call sheets for crew
  • Recce of all locations
  • Risk Assessment for all locations
  • Obtain talent and location release plans
  • Shot Lists
  • Equipment Lists
  • Production Briefing Meetings

No comments: