Wednesday, January 31, 2007

D&AD Final Poster Designs

These are the three final poster designs for the D&AD brief.


Poster 1

The background image was taken by myself. Initially I wanted to cover the edges with a black mask, however this did not work as it created different shades of black in certain areas. Therefore I did not manipulate this image at all, and just added the text on top. I really like this poster as it is simple, concise and effective.


Poster 2

I took the image of the knife and used it as a code, or signifier of the horror genre. On the left I used the filter effect 'Liquify' to achieve the mesh. I feel that this poster represents the slasher sub-genre of horror rather than the horror genre as a whole. However it is still effective in advertising the festival through the text.


Poster 3

This poster is heavily text based and would most likely be put up at the theatre, schools and colleges. This is where audiences would be interested in the festival and would want to know more details.

Overall I feel that I have met the brief. All three posters are quite generic and therefore appeal to a wide range of audiences. All three are type-based and advertise a local film festival as a whole. The colours and the font complement eachother and although the images are simple and minimalist they signify the horror genre well. I feel I could have improved this project by developing further features of the film festival to advertise in the posters. For example a competition, or film discussion sessions.

No comments: