Thursday, March 05, 2009

PRP: Artefact 2 - The Evaluation

For my second artefact I decided to conduct interviews with practitioners in the creative industry. The questions were based around the answers I had received from the students in my first artefact. I had contacted various practitioners such as web designers, film producers/directors and games designers. However due to their commitments I was only able to speak to two practitioners over the phone.

I spoke to Meena Patel, a web designer who described the design industry as a split of 50:50 men to women ration. On the other hand she highlighted there is a lack of women developers but the reason for this is dependable on interest. I found this observation interesting and learned that there are more women in web ‘design’ than I had perceived.

I also spoke to the film producer Cassandra Sigsguard. She said there are many women film producers however only 7% of directors in the UK are women. She outlined one of the reasons for a lack of this representation is female interests and lifestyle choices.

I have drawn on a conclusion that the representation of women in Multimedia is weighed according to the sector. Due to the nature of this project I feel it would be more efficient and effective if I concentrated my research on an area that is denser with the problem. I feel that there are less women working as directors and game designers.

For my third artefact I have decided to focus the research on women film directors. I will be using the Birds-eye View Women’s Film Festival as a foundation for this. I can then apply the findings from this to the other areas of multimedia in the broader context. In addition to this I will continue engaging with other women practitioners to enhance my understanding of the project.

No comments: