Tuesday, February 06, 2007

During the seminar we discussed our choice of script with a tutor and other students that chose the same script. I have chosen “Holding Pattern” for my final film project.

After reading the script I felt the story is about a Romanian character named Bogdan who is unemployed and currently living in the UK. He makes various attempts to apply for a job to earn a living. Bogdan is not very fluent in English however seems to be an intellectual and bright person. He has very less money and is awaiting a reply from the unemployment office at the local council. He receives a letter from the council and is left unemployed and homeless.

This script really appealed to me because of various factors. Firstly there is not great detail about the set or the actual plot. The script leaves many parts to the reader’s imagination to interpret in their own way. I feel this is a good thing as it will allow me to use my own interpretation of the story and develop it from script to screen. Also there is no dialogue in the script. Once again I see this as a positive factor as it will obligate me to use visual grammar to convey the story instead of speech. Based on my interpretation the script can have a linear or a non-linear narrative structure, which gives me more room to experiment with developing the beginning middle and end. The script has different locations; I see this as a challenge as there will be different shooting conditions at each location. Bogdan is the only character in the film, therefore his character can be developed more as it is a short film and there is limited time. Finally I feel that the subject of unemployment and immigration is interesting and can be explored and developed to give a particular message to the audience.

No comments: